BEESD


map source Route 66

On 9 May 1661 the widow of Cornelis Van Der Hoeven, Geertje Van Fulpen, arrived in New Amsterdam with six children on the ship Beaver from Amsterdam. They came from Beesd, Gelderland, the Netherlands. Geertje and Cornelis were our 9xgreat grandparents.

Beesd was and is more a village than a town, even today (1977 census) having 4,031 people including farmers in the area. It is on the right bank of the Linge river, just west of the A2 motorway. It is in the Betuwe, the western arm of Gelderland - an area bounded by the Rijn (Rhine), Waal and Lek rivers. It seems to have never made much impression. The earliest record is in 1129, a footnote to the foundation of the Marienwaerd cloister. And other than in cloister records there is little of note until recently.

In March 2003 cousin Terry visited Beesd. Below are some pictures he took. Click to see a larger image.

Thumbs/tn_marienw.jpg
MariŽnwaerdt
Thumbs/tn_BEESD1810.jpg
map 1810
Thumbs/tn_map2003.jpg
map 2003
Thumbs/tn_Vdhcrest.jpg
Van Der Hoeven crest
Thumbs/tn_Beesdnow.jpg
recent aerial photo
Thumbs/tn_crest.gif
modern Beesd crest
Thumbs/tn_street.jpg
street scene
Thumbs/tn_street2.jpg
street scene
Thumbs/tn_Beesdnhk.jpg
Interior of 1825 Reformed Church

last update 1 July 2003

Gamber Net | Families | Gamber genealogy | contact Dan